Hyde Park: A South Side Beauty by the Lake
The Hyde Park Neighborhood
With two of the city's most significant cultural institutions:
- The University of Chicago to the west
- The Museum of Science and Industry to the east
Hyde Park is a very popular South Side neighborhood for locals and visitors alike.
The Museum of Science and Industry is the largest science museum in North America and boasts 2,000 plus exhibits and sits along the lakefront where you can enjoy a stroll along the beach after your visit to the museum. You can, of course, find plenty of information about the Museum of Science and Industry all over the internet as well as the museums FREE admission days!
Hyde Park a Walkers Neighborhood
The University of Chicago is one of the country's most scenic campuses you'll come across. You can stroll freely throughout the campus and enjoy many buildings that are an architect's delight. The oldest buildings were designed after the English Gothic architectural style used at Oxford with towers, cloisters, spires, and gargoyles.
In Hyde Park, you'll also find the home of President Barack Obama and family. Along with a movie theater, Whole Foods, Target and a Michaels, you can definitely walk in this neighborhood for all of your shopping and sightseeing needs.
TIP! The best way to get a true feel of a neighborhood is to go there and talk to the people who live there!
There is true Hyde Park pride when hanging out amongst the Hyde Parkers!
Original Hyde Park T-shirt or Hoodie!
Where to Eat in Hyde Park?
EATS! There are many really nice places to choose from for breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dinner! Below are picks that are gems that you just might hear about from other than a native Hyde Parker. Enjoy!
- Valois Delicious comfort foods and plenty to choose from. This is one of President Obama's favorite breakfast spots. Located at 1518 E. 53rd and Open 7 days a week from 5am-10pm. You'll have plenty to eat for less than $10.
- The Promontory is known for their Happy Hour (4-6pm) and
livemusic in the evenings, but they serve a wonderful brunch on Saturday & Sundays from 9am-3pm. Located at 5311 S. Lake Park W (Between 53rd & 54th st). Check their Full Menu and you'll see the large variety of choices offered at the Brunch!
- LSTC Refectory which is part of the Lutheran School of Theology is located at 1100 E. 55th St. (Between University Ave. & Service Rd). This is arguably one of THE best cafeterias for lunch in Hyde Park. Open Monday through Friday from 7am-2pm and priced under $10.
- La Petite Folie is a classic French restaurant that is easily overlooked because of its location in a courtyard partially hidden by a strip mall with a Walgreens, Potbelly's and Treasure Island Grocery Store. This white table clothed restaurant has an all-French wine selection and you will have many classic French dishes to choose from. Located at 1504 E. 55th St. (at Harper Ave. in the Courtyard) Dinner is served Tuesday - Sunday from 5 pm - 9 pm. Be sure to make your reservations by calling them at 773-493-1394
BONUS EAT! Nella Pizza & Pasta With ingredients imported straight from Napoli you can't miss when you visit this spot. 1125 E. 55th
SCROLL DOWN TO VIEW HOMES FOR SALE IN THE
HYDE PARK NEIGHBORHOOD!
Based on information submitted to the MRED as of date and time shown below. All data is obtained from various sources and has not been, and will not be, verified by broker or MRED. MRED supplied Open House information is subject to change without notice. All information should be independently reviewed and verified for accuracy. Properties may or may not be listed by the office/agent presenting the information. © 2022. http://www.mredllc.com/comms/resources/DMCA_Notice.pdf
Updated: 26th June, 2022 8:38 AM (UTC).